Sunday, November 8, 2009

Head north, I'll be busy looking out the window

Pond

Today was the long awaited CPPA aerial workshop, I was so excited. I had been shooting all day, so going in I was nervous, and sick of holding the camera. I had talked to Libby beforehand, and she told me how exciting it was, and that I should go over to my photo story house, which is what she did. Needless to say, Kent and Craig, the pilot, were both eager to oblige. We set off at about 4:00 p.m., just as the sun peaked out from behind the clouds. The lighting was beautiful! Pushing the lens out the window and then holding it as I looked for a photo was incredibly challenging, the wind rushing past you, wanting to rip the thousands of dollars worth of equipment around my neck out and away, eventually to come crashing down to the ground. With Kent's 70-200 f/2.8 and my D300s, I was scared.

Rosebush Farm

I was in the plane for about 15 or 20 minutes, we flew north to Rosebush, looped around until we found my photo story house, circled it twice, and then headed back to the airport. It was such a thrill.

Swarey Farm 1

I was so excited when I realized they were actually outside! As we circled, I don't think my finger ever left the shutter button for more than a second or two. It was very difficult to zoom, trying to stabilize myself against my chest, hold the lens and the camera, while positioning my left hand in a way that I could get to the zoom ring.

Swarey Farm 2

It was an incredible time, 15 or 20 minutes that just flew (literally) by. I loved it. I'm quite happy with how I did too. I honestly just want to get up in the air and shoot more. Aerial photography is such a blast.

2 comments:

  1. I demand a franchising fee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, make sure you put http:// in front of your links. The software smacks on your URL if you don't.

    ReplyDelete